It is important to keep your teeth clean in your elder years. As we age, our teeth age with us. Years of wear and tear from the elements can have seriously damaging effects on our teeth and gums, and it is up to us to continue to protect them. If we fail our teeth in our elder years, they will surely fail us in return. Below are a few more hints for healthy teeth:
– Quit Bad Habits: If you smoke, drink heavy alcohol, or chew tobacco, you are at a much higher risk for gum disease, tooth decay, tooth loss, and cancer.
– Brush Daily: Brush at least twice a day using soft bristles. If manual brushing is too difficult, use an electric toothbrush.
– Avoid Hard Snacks: It’s important to avoid hard snacks that can damage your weakened teeth. Hard snacks include hard lollipops, popcorn kernels, or chewing on ice.
– Clean Your Dentures: If you have dentures, be sure to remove them and clean them daily.
– Make Time for your Dentist: Make sure you visit your dentist as directed for a professional cleaning or oral exam.
– Floss Daily: Floss at least once a day using floss or a dentist-approved flossing tool.
Follow these important guidelines, and oral health care in your twilight years can be much more enjoyable. If you have not made time for your dentist at Dr. Jose-Luis Ruiz, DDS & Associates, Inc., and would like to make an appointment with Dr. Jose-Luis Ruiz, please contact us today. We can be reached at 818-558-4332 or by stopping by our office in Burbank, California. Thanks for visiting with a smile!